Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rescue Dawn -- Thursday 7/12/07


Okay everyone. I love to be negative. I love to hate on the movies. I just...I just can't do it this week. I loved this movie. It was, to quote a famous tiger, "GRRRRRRRRREAT!!!". Directed by Werner Herzog, who should never ever again do voice overs (see Grizzly Man), this movie tells the story of several POWs during the Vietnam War. Christian Bale plays the main character whose plane is shot down over enemy territory. Steve Zahn plays one of the POWs he meets and spends many long and dreary days with.

Normally, I dig Christian Bale. I thought he was great in Batman Returns and I thought that in "American Psycho" he was KILLER!! Get it? Killer? Get it? Killer, like he kills and the movie..it's called...okay. never mind. In this movie I thought he was good but sometimes he seems a little plastic and like a bizarre superhero. Kind of like the Clark Kent in the recent remake of the remake or the remake of Superman. I am not sure he is a great actor but he sure acts like one. Steve Zahn, on the other hand, has always kind of seemed like a fun stoner to me. In this one, I finally get it. He's great. Really great. There is a real emotional depth to his performance. Yay Steve Zahn.

The story is the best part of this movie. At one point, I actually found myself sitting on the edge of my seat. It is gripping and moving and just awesome. Also, it is a true story. Supposedly there is a documentary about the main character, also directed by Werner Herzog. Put it on your cue.

The only crap part is the end. It is a little cheezy and typical. I wish I could say more negative stuff but I got nothin'. It's a great movie.

So, just to be negative, I will say some angry stuff. George Bush is an A-HOLE! The weather is crap. Angelina Jolie is an anti-Semite. Why am I never on Cash Cab?

I give this movie 5, count 'em 5 Robbies!!

7 Comments:

At July 19, 2007 at 6:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I daresay you forgot to mention Christian Bale's greatest role... Jack Kelly in the Disney hit Newsies. Sheesh! How could you forget how well he carried the Banner?

 
At July 19, 2007 at 8:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Papes don't sell papes, Newsies sell papes!

 
At July 20, 2007 at 7:17 AM , Blogger jeannie* said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At July 20, 2007 at 7:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEADLINES dont sell papes... Newsies sell papes!

I think we might have to arrange a viewing of this here classic. Rob, perhaps you can then review it.

 
At September 4, 2007 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Deb Rabbai said...

Rob, I think you're falling behind on your reviews. I know for fact that you've been to a few movies since this one. We, the sheeple NEED to know your reviews. How will we figure out what is worth watching? Oh, the humanity...

 
At November 11, 2008 at 3:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

 
At November 12, 2008 at 7:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carly, my reviews have moved to...

http://www.robschiffmann.com/My_Site/Robs_Movie_Reviews/Robs_Movie_Reviews.html

Please come check them out over there and subscribe!

Thanks for the nice comment.

Rob

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home