Friday, June 1, 2007

Mr. Brooks -- June 1st, 2007


Today I went to see "Mr. Brooks", starring Kevin Costner, William Hurt and some dude who looked familiar. It was pretty good, although I am not quite sure how. The basic story is that there is a big, popular business man, played by Mr. Costner. He's also a serial killer. He is trying to retire from the serial killer business but his little schizophrenia-induced friend, played by William Hurt, a la Paul Bettany in "A Beautiful Mind", keeps insisting that he just go for it and keep killing. Lots of other crap happens...strange going-ons with Kevin Costner's daughter (played by some nameless hotty), an admirer / potential blackmailer, etc..

I think that the producers / studio execs thought it would be a money-maker to have Kevin Costner play someone who was unlikeable. If they make him into a killer, we will be so intrigued as audience members, we will just have to buy a ticket. Is Kevin Costner still so likeable that a reinvention will cause enough people to stir and go see this movie? I don't think so. Still, they must try but as so often happens with moves like this, the writers / people-in-charge make the evil charachter somewhat sympathetic. It's like Kevin Costner is out there saying, "Yeah! Make me evil!! Let's do it!! Just make sure I'm likeable evil or at least understandably evil. Like Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'".

Lame. Just make him really evil and nasty. Then I will be excited to see the "Reinvention of the Wolves".

Meanwhile, William Hurt has turned into one of those actors who, in their later years, has fallen into the trap of constantly playing smug, two-dimensional characters. This film is no different. In fact, in this one, he is LITERALLY two-dimensional, as an apparition. I find this disappointing. I remember William Hurt from such amazing movies as "Children of a Lesser God" or "The Big Chill" or, of course "Kiss of the Spider Woman". Where did that dude go? Come back William Hurt!!

So, with all of this negativity, it is get back to my initial thought. This movie was, somehow, enjoyable. Kept me interested. Didn't fidget. It's a good story and pretty well acted, overall. Check it out.

Leave before the stupid-ass ending though.

Overall I give it 3, out of a possible 5, Robbies!!

Until Next Week!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home